Wednesday 19 June 2013

Amazon JP 2013 Mid-year Ranking Top 20 BL Manga

Amazon Japan releases lists of their overall bestselling books twice a year, a mid-year ranking and an end of year ranking. Here is what's been selling in BL manga in the first half of 2013, period covering Dec 1 2012 - May 31 2013. The publication date follows each title in the list.

1. NightS by Yoneda Kou
    9/2/2013







2. Saezuru Tori wa Habatakanai 1 by Yoneda Kou
    30/1/2013







3. Crimson Spell 5 by Yamane Ayano
    25/3/2013







4. Michi to no Souguu by Koshino
    9/3/2013








5. Junjou Romantica 16 (premium edition) by Nakamura Shungiku
    19/12/2012







 6. Sunao ja nai Kedo by Sakuraga Mei
     28/2/2013








7. Junjou Romantica 16 by Nakamura Shungiku
    28/12/2012








8. Bokura no Mitsudomoe Sensou by Shoowa
    26/11/2012








9. Punch ↑ + Jinan Joutou by Kano Shiuko
    9/3/2013








10. Bukiyou na Silent 4 (special edition) by Takanaga Hinako
      9/3/2013








11. Stroboscope by Yamashita Tomoko
      10/12/2012








12. Kachou Fuugetsu 2 (limited first edition) by Shimizu Yuki
      30/4/2013








13. Kachou Fuugetsu 1 by Shimizu Yuki
      30/4/2013








14. Hana wa Saku ka 4 by Hidaka Shouko
      24/4/2013








15. Yoso wa Yoso, Uchi wa Uchi (limited first edition) by Kitakami Ren
      30/1/2013








16. Nawa ga Nakutemo Daijoubu by Shoowa
      29/1/2013








17. Koishii Akuma by Madarame Hiro
      24/12/2012








18. Hana no Miyako de by Takarai Rihito
      9/3/2013








19. Hakkenden - Touhou Hakken Ibun 12 by Abe Miyuki
      28/12/2012








20. Aitsu no Daihonmei 6 by Tanaka Suzuki
      10/4/2013

5 comments:

  1. Out of curiosity, is there another more official chart/list that gives sales numbers for best-selling boy's love? I think this is a good list (thank you for posting), but it's limited to Amazon sales and I'd love to see overall popularity in Japan.

    On another note, Koshino seems really popular and I've really only read one work by her (Samejima-kun to Sasahara-kun), which was decent though nothing I would deem special. Yoneda Kou at the top isn't a surprise, neither is Crimson Spell. If I could read Japanese, I'd also have ordered a copy of Sunao ja nai Kedo too.

    Bokura no Mitsudomoe Sensou hasn't been fully scanlated but I've seen raws, and it looks like pwp which I'm normally okay with when in the mood, but I didn't really care for the character designs in this particular work. Maybe I'll wait to read the whole thing before I judge, but I still prefer Papa's Assassin.

    I'm dying to know what's going on in Kachou Fuugetsu and I wonder if it's more popular than what Amazon's numbers are showing. Koishii Akuma, I'm dying for scanlations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No idea! If anyone else knows, please comment, I'd love to know too.

      I know Japan's go-to company for ranking is Oricon where they compile sales numbers across a range of entertaiment mediums but for manga, as far as I can see on their website, they don't sort into different genres like Amazon do, and they've also only got weekly rankings archived. They must release annual rankings for manga because I see them on ANN occasionally but there's never a direct link provided so I have no idea where exactly they get their info. If anyone knows, please link!

      Delete
    2. I can´t wait for number 1,2 and 14 but the mere thought that the license of 2 and 14 is held by DMP makes my hair stand on end. So many titles that they haven´t completed, and so many reprints that I´m waiting!

      With them always is same story but maybe this time is different and they actually license all volumes.

      Dying to know whats going on in Shimizu Yuki´s new work too.

      Delete
    3. Shimizu Yuki is definitely my biggest want from this list >_<

      I'm grateful to DMP for licensing a lot of great titles over the years and remaining comitted to yaoi when so many other English language yaoi publishers have folded but yeah, too often their translations leave a lot to be desired; now that Sublime are here I also let a out a little sigh when I see a good title go to DMP instead ^^;

      Delete
    4. Yes, very grateful. It´s just that I want the company improve pros and cons as a way to continue for a long time. I wish them the best and I still support all the good titles.

      Delete