Sunday 26 May 2013

Blue Morning 1 by Hidaka Shoko

Rating: 6
Sublime 2013 - Tokuma Shoten 2009
4+ volumes
Translation: Jocelyne Allen

"At only ten years of age, Akihito Kuze suddenly inherits the Kuze viscountship after his father’s death. The family's capable butler, Tomoyuki Katsuragi, takes over the task of raising the boy, serving as his tutor. However, the handsome and intelligent Katsuragi, well respected even among the aristocracy, remains cool towards his charge. Akihito finds himself relentlessly drawn to Katsuragi, frustrated by the distance between them and driven to discover the reasons why." (Sublime)

Hidaka Shoko has been a consistently popular BL mangaka for the past few years and Blue Morning is one of her most popular works to date. It arrives on western shores on the waves of much hype and enthusiasm from fans in and outside of Japan and, having liked a number of Hidaka's other titles, I've been eager to check this out.

What struck me as I read through this first volume is that the story is intended from the start to be a multi-volume series, which is not the norm in BL manga where the more common practise is for magazines to test the waters with one or two chapters and go from there depending on reader reception. Afforded the luxury of so many chapters to work with, Hidaka really takes the time to set up the plot, flesh out the characters and create a believable period setting for those characters to inhabit. You'd be forgiven for forgetting that you're reading a BL romance since there's hardly any sign of a love story until the last third or so of the book. Instead, the bulk of the story is used to establish the complex relationship between the protagonists as guardian and ward, set against the backdrop of, what I take to be, Taishou-era (1912-1926) aristocratic society.

Hidaka has an easy measured writing style, her characters are intelligent and articulate. The story is serious in tone but never melodramatic. The period setting provides an interesting study of the sociopolitical classes of the time. It's nice to read some plot-driven drama in BL for a change and though the intrigue elements are rather superficial, the story remains engaging throughout. I enjoyed reading this first volume and it shows potential for a good series, however, I was never gripped by the story, and certainly not by the romance, what little of it that is seen near the end.

The story is told mostly from Akihito's point of view but the central figure of interest is undoubtedly the enigmatic Katsuragi. No mere butler, Katsuragi is the acting head of the Kuze house, in charge of the estate's considerable finances as well as being guardian to the young viscount. Katsuragi himself is the third son of a prominent, though untitled, family, taken in by the Kuze household at a young age, for reasons as yet undisclosed. He's a masterful operator in society, well connected and something of a financial whiz. He's also not adverse to using his body in order to curry favour with influential people of both sexes, as Akihito discovers early on after witnessing an intimate scene. Akihito is fascinated by his exceptional butler from their very first meeting and wishes to earn his approval and affection. However, the cool Katsuragi makes it clear from the start that there is to be no such affectionate relationship and maintains a firm distance between them throughout Akihito's youth.

Katsuragi is an interesting character and it's easy to understand Akihito's fascination with him. What is harder to do is to find much in Katsuragi to sympathise with. He creates a bad impression from the start for being so heartless towards a lonely orphaned kid yearning for affection. Yes, he must have his motivations but since they remain shrouded in mystery for the remainder of the volume it's hard to sympathise. He's single-mindedly set on carving out an illustrious political future for Akihito, regardless of Akihito's feelings on the matter. Since we learn little about his past and don't know why he's so driven towards this goal, it's more natural to feel for Akihito who's being railroaded along. Of course, there wouldn't be much of a plot if everything was explained in the first act but in the meantime I, for one, need a bit more to like about the guy. His attitude towards Akihito ranges from strict to outright mean. I feel sorry for Akihito for falling for such a jerk. It's implied that Katsuragi is an alluring man with many admirers but since we're shown only the most fleeting glimpses of that side of him, a tame kiss here, a dishevelled appearance there, I'm nowhere near sold on his appeal yet.

Akihito is an easier character to like, that is, until the romantic thread of the plot kicks in and his frustrations lead him to a desperate act, after which I'm holding off judgement on him until the next volume. The romance, which begins abruptly and very unpromisingly late in this volume, needs considerable work doing to it before it becomes even palatable. At the end of volume one it consists of pathetic one-sided love on Akihito's side and stone-cold indifference on Katsuragi's. It promises to be an angst-ridden relationship though I hope we'll see a kinder side to Katsuragi in coming volumes and better behaviour from Akihito.

I have confidence in Hidaka's writing that the story will improve and so I'm still looking forward to the next volume. Despite my rather negative review, I do consider this a good start to the series and I know sensei is good at writing slow-burning love so I'm hopeful that the next volumes will deliver.

~~~~~

There are some issues with the translation which I've written about in a separate post: here.

8 comments:

  1. I read my volume yesterday and I couldn´t agree more with you in this review. You have explained everything so well! I hope to purchase the second volume in a few weeks and I will be waiting for your opinion too.

    I love Hidaka Shouko´s works. Her stories usually are very well told,she takes time to develop them, and her characters are always unique and everyone can genuinely love or respect them.

    In a BL era where most authors are more concerned about sex escenes than creating good plots/stories, it's always a pleasure to enjoy this woman work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your kind words! I like Hidaka Shouko a lot, I think she's a thoughtful writer, so even if I don't love every one of her works I still think each is an interesting read. I'm looking forward to the second volume, too. I'm ready and willing to like Katsuragi, just give me any reason to!

      Delete
    2. About a reason to like katsuragi… it’s not easy!
      I Can´t make myself understood in English as well as in my language but I'm going to try. Sorry for the inconvenience.

      When I was reading the book I was wondering what his problem was ( all the time) and hoping sensei to give us a clue to understand him (all the time) but then unexpectedly Akihito showed up committing a deplorable act of violence and hate and something inside me snapped.

      I mean, whatever reason or motivations of Katsuragi to remain cold-hearted toward Akihito, from the beginning was beside him. Probably not like a real father, but he raised him the way he thought appropriate in order to became an intelligent/smart man in a complex and changing society.

      Katsuragi wounded face after the violent episode broke my heart. Nobody deserves something like that and I couldn’t even begin to imagine how he felt. However,despite all, the day after he carried out his daily day as a professional, didn´t say anything and continue with the task Akihito's father gave him before death.

      I´m sorry but if I were Katsuragi I would abandon and left.

      I’m not trying to justity Katsuragi but I saw a little bit of his true self and I think is not bad. Akihito however needs to grow up, overcome his impulses (not an angel after all) and earn my affection again. We´ll see what happens next but please give Katsu a chance:-)

      Delete
    3. I pity Katsuragi and I do admire him for his commitment to whatever goal it is that he's set himself and which makes him stay, but somehow pity and admiration still does not translate into like. Yet. I hope he becomes more likeable in the second volume, volume three would be stretching it, I feel; same goes for Akihito, currently they're battling it out for most reviled character >_>

      Delete
  2. Then volume two is a must read, right?
    Now I´m here every week so thanks for your great work. Also thanks to you I´m enjoying a Yuki Shimizu work who I skipped during long time because of the art, Love Mode. You said she was one of your favorites, I gave it another chance and I´m speechless. No words can describe how I feel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, Ze?! I'm so glad you gave it another chance! Who's your favourite couple? ^^ Funnily enough, it also took me a couple of tries to get into it, I suppose it's a series that gets better as it goes on, though now when I reread it I like the first couple a lot more.

      And thanks for dropping by so often ^o^ Though I update so infrequently that a visit every few months should do it!

      Delete
    2. OMG I haven´t finish Ze but I love each couple for different reasons. Unique characters, great plot, one of the best artwork I´ve seen in a BL manga.. is perfect and Yuki Shimizu really got me.

      In Love Mode the art wasn´t that great but the whole manga is painfully beautiful. Will never forget the second couple formed by Aoe Reiji and his cute kitten Naoya.

      No problem about updates, you´re very kind ^_^

      Delete
    3. Reiji and Naoya! Brings back memories, I liked them a lot, too. Shimizu sensei does tragic love so well. But yes, I'm glad her art improved so much ^^; I sooo want to read her new series >_<

      Delete