Saturday 13 October 2012

Flutter by Tenzen Momoko

Rating: 6
Juné 2012 - Taiyo Tosho 2011
1 volume
Translation: Jocelyne Allen

I've read quite a few Tenzen Momoko titles and the enduring impression I have of them is one of gentleness. Her stories are thoughtful, sensitive, languidly paced, and all seem to share a similar calm ambiance. Even the most hotheaded of her characters are sure to stop, think and reflect on their feelings. Though the setting and characters change from book to book, her stories tend to follow the same format: boy meets boy, boy falls for boy; cue lots of character analysis, soul-searching, exploration of feelings; conclusion: they're perfect for each other and roll happily into bed together.

Since her books are all quite similar the details of each tend to blur in my mind and I can't recall which ones I preferred over the other, so I can't say that any of them are particularly exceptional but they're routinely enjoyable and I know what to expect when I pick one up, a pleasant romantic read.

Flutter is a typical Tenzen title, this time with two salarymen as the leads. On the way to work every morning, Asada's eyes are always drawn to a good looking stylish man. Even though he is a man like himself, Asada is full of curiosity and wonders what kind of person he is. When the two are paired together for a project at work, Asada is suddenly given the chance to find out. He is drawn to Mizuki from the start and the more he gets to know him the more he likes him.

The story is very much character-driven and while Asada, a straightforward honest type, doesn't leave much of an impression, Mizuki is more complex, laden with emotional baggage, describes himself as, "...a bit twisted...no picnic to hang out with" and is a mature and interesting character to read about.

In a story where there's not much plot the focus falls on the writing and the ability to express that writing through the art. While the quality of the writing is nothing special, the dialogue is natural and unaffected, and there are a few lines that stand out and do well in capturing the essence of the character or in creating the mood of the scene. For me, the artwork is not quite as good and in several instances I find that the characters' expressions don't suit the lines being said and tend to lean towards the melodramatic. One particular niggle I had was that Tenzen has a habit of recycling the same super shocked expression in what seemed to me like every other chapter, the characters are shocked by every slightest thing, make the same face every time, and its impact wore thin very quickly. I feel the manga would be much improved if Tenzen could broaden the variation and subtlety in the facial expressions she draws.

I like reading her stories, knowing that I'll be entertained for an hour or two, but none of them leave a deep impression and are not something that I look forward to eagerly. Perhaps it's her artwork holding her back, perhaps she needs some extra polish to her writing, perhaps she just needs one good plot or premise, but I don't feel as if any of her manga that I've read have made the leap to being really good. However, her books are always a dependable choice for those who like thoughtful romances with a mature attitude, and Flutter is a good example of one.

No comments:

Post a Comment